Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"I was Born with a Suitcase in my Hand."

The title is from Little Big Town's song "I'm with the Band".  Lyrics about traveling around, chasing dreams of performing, never really knowing where you are but enjoying the ride.  I'm not trying to talk about being in a band.  I gave up the performer dream when I was like 12.  Okay maybe when I was 16.  I'm not really sure when but I know it was a long time ago!  I am here to talk about traveling though!!!

As many of you do know, I've got a serious case of the travel bug.  Basically every weekend is booked with travels to see the boyfriend, home, adventures with friends, vacations, etc.  I've become very good at packing all the essentials and doing it quickly.  Blame it on genetics!  My family, well part of my family, has a serious itch to see anything and everything.  My grandmother had been to every continent with the exception of South America.  (At least I can't remember her discussing any travels there.)  She traveled with her sister, her husband, children, mother, travel groups, basically anyone that would go.  It didn't really matter.  She just wanted to see it all.  I thank her for getting out to see the world.  It definitely opened her eyes and thus opened the eyes of the rest of her family.  I'm secretly wishing I were at home so I could find some photos and post for you to see.  Places, I can think of off the top of my head, she traveled to include: Israel, Australia, Egypt, Greece, Russia.  I know there are so many more!!

Maybe I'm a little biased... My grandmother was awesome!  Funny how I'm trying to tell you about my travels and I end up talking about my grandmother...  Her name was Dorcas and she said "Call me Dork."  She was Grama to me.  I would get to their house and if I didn't see her immediately sitting in her rocking chair, I'd start yelling for her.  She'd call out wherever she was and I'd wander around until a smile was on my face.  I kinda do that with my mom now.  Grama had a crazy sweet tooth and read constantly.  To say she was a book worm would be an understatement!  She used to take old boxes and put contact paper on them to us as her organization system.  And wow she left notes for everyone, everywhere!  Made the best pies and apple cake.

I digress.... Grama valued education.  It was instilled in her even during a time when money was tight and women were supposed to be homemakers.  She graduated high school and went off to college.  She passed on the importance of an education to her children and grandchildren.  She also made it a point to say that I could get married whenever I liked.  "Don't worry about boys." she said.  But to her, I think part of education was traveling and exploring.  You learn so much from seeing different things, tasting different foods, experiencing different cultures, trying to understand people with different accents and even different languages.  I remember reading an article that said if you travel with your young children, they are more likely to be open to new things when they are older.  I believe it!

I remember when she was in the hospital around September sometime.  It was a good day for her and things seemed to be going well at least for the time being.  There were all kinds of things wrong with her.  She had a tracheotomy and wasn't able to talk without some type of device.  She mouthed to me to ask if I had traveled anymore lately.  Shamefully I hadn't.  I mentioned going to Jamaica with my sister and friend.  She just grinned.  Previously over the summer, I had gone to concerts, visited different cities, talked about future plans with her.  Her eyes sparkled as I highlighted the food, sights and even misfortunes.

Right now, my sister is hopefully in her bed sleeping after a whirlwind European travel excursion for her birthday.  I won't tell her age but let's just say that it is one of those that really hits hard.  :P  She put something on Facebook about traveling to keep Grama close to her.  At first, I thought she had committed a gaffe.  I'm not one to declare emotions or feelings in public.  But here I am writing about them.  I suppose my sister is right though.  Traveling helps keep memories of people, places and things alive.  Maybe that is part of why I'm going to share my adventures with you.  To keep the memories of my Grama and my adventures alive.  So as another summer is in full force, I'm going to give you a series of blogs on my travels.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  My travel bucket list.  Travel traditions I have created along the way.  Keepsakes and mementos that I've collected too!  I will also try to grab some pictures of Grama in her travel adventures just to share with you. 


"What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do - especially in other people's minds.  When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.  People don't have your past to hold against you.  No yesterdays on the road."  ~William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

No comments:

Post a Comment